3.14.2012

Coffee Cup Sleeve Waste-no-more


According to HelpingHaven.com, "It’s estimated that 14 billion cups of coffee are served every year wrapped in a single-use, cardboard coffee sleeve, which adds up to 2.8 billion pounds of trash."

Personally, I made it my mission to bring reusable shopping bags to the grocery store to help eliminate plastic bag waste from landfills. It is a simple step in cleaning up our world that many of us have successfully accomplished.

As I buy at least 3 cups of coffee per day, and do try to bring my own cup, I still fail at the cardboard sleeve part. I save them when I can and have a little stack in my car that I do reuse.
But, it's these little things that really make a difference! Starbucks sells reusable sleeves now and I have also been tempted to knit my own, as I have seen on Canadian Living.

I was able to make the reusable shopping bag thing a habit. My new mission: I'm breaking out the crochet hook. No more cardboard sleeves for me. AND, I'm making one for all my friends.
This one I just whipped up in under one hour. Of course, it's green :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your coffee sleeve! Did you write a pattern?

    ReplyDelete